The ISDS Files
Videos & Visuals against Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)
ISDS is a mechanism engraved in (bilateral) investment treaties or an investment chapter of trade agreements which allows multinational corporations to sue governments in ad hoc tribunals. It is an extrajudicial system with special privileges and rights just for one class: Foreign investors, giving them more power relatively to citizens and governments. The implications of this system are really dangerous as well as a pretty costly affaire for governments and ultimately tax payers. All sorts of public policies are under attack around the world as our little selection of ISDS files is showing. And this is merely the tip of the iceberg.
But activists, campaigners, researchers, and academics are not only talking about specific ISDS cases, potential hazards and general flaws of ISDS, but also highlighting alternative approaches arising in the Global South. Yes, the latest proposal of the European Commission for an “Investment Court System” still fails to address the key problems of foreign investors’ privileges as you can read in our analysis “ISDS: Courting foreign investors“.
Video gallery: ISDS – Corporate weapon against public policies worldwide
Scroll through our video gallery here or watch our video playlist on youtube.
ISDS is affecting our lifes on so many levels. We don’t want to frighten you with graphic details. But we do need to get warnings out there. Feel free to use all of our videos and visuals for this purpose. Did we miss anything? Contact: nicola.jaeger(at)power-shift.de to add your personal warning or get your (favourite) ISDS clip listed.
What’s the link to cigarette warnings? John Oliver explains the tabacco-ISDS connection brilliantly in Last Week Tonight for you:
More to watch:
- TNI: Why is TTIP more than a trade agreement? EU and US are currently negotiating a trade and investment agreement. How will this deal affect people from both regions and around the world? See reflections from EU and US activists who gathered to discuss about the impacts and possible solutions.
- CEO: Suing the state: hidden rules within the EU-US trade deal.This film presents some of the dangers of the investor rights within the proposed EU-US trade deal. We need to stop this corporate attack on our democracy and policies to protect the public interest.
- Sourced TV: NO FRACKING WAY. A trade agreement currently being negotiated between the US and the EU could open the way to multi-billion euro lawsuits from companies wanting to expand “fracking” for shale gas and oil, reveals a new report today. As part of the proposed investor rights chapter in the EU-US trade deal, companies could be allowed to sue governments, through a binding arbitration system that operates outside national frameworks, if they attempt to regulate or ban fracking. Campaigning groups are urging the EU to not include such rights in the trade deal.
- Attac: Transatlantic Free-Trade Agreement (TAFTA/TTIP) – Lori Wallach and Natacha Cingotti. This interview was made during the European Summer University in Paris in 2014 initiated by the Attac network. Natacha Cingotti is a campaigner in the environmental NGO “Friends of the Earth Europe” in Brussels. Lori Wallach is the director of Citizen’s Global Trade Watch in Washington.
- Visual materials for free download and use: Visuals_The ISDS files (zip file with 4.13 MG)
The ISDS Files are brought to you by